Thursday 9 February 2012

Swiss Vorhut - pikes



















































I've completed the lengthy process of rebasing my existing Swiss figures to create a pike bloc for my Swiss Confederation vorhut. These figures are now on a 180mm frontage and effectively represent two of my 'Impetus' contingents, so a total frontage of 360mm, with a 4 base depth (240mm). The vorhut will have crossbow/handgun and halbardier bases added to make it complete. I'm happy with the overall size and composition; I have the flexibility of reducing the frontage if needed (as I do with all my units) and having this depth mean I can get the cantonal standards grouped near the centre as contemporary illustrations show so clearly and visually it looks sufficiently large. You'd not believe how long I have spent planning the basing layout for the Swiss troops and looking at what others have done with similar pike units (!).


This pike bloc represents the cantons of Lucerne, Uri, Biel, Unterwalden, Nidwalden and Obwalden (the flags for the latter two will be added). The figures are nearly all the Swiss Foundry range, which are the first historical range that Dave Andrews did before starting his 'Great War Miniatures' company. They are historically accurate figures for the Swiss in the later fifteenth century and are nicely detailed and a pleasure to paint. The paintwork on these is a mix done over the last few years, by 'Clibanarium', Dave Imrie, Jim Bowen and myself. I have enough Foundry castings to do a second pike bloc with these figures and for the other one I'm planning, which will be a larger unit and will represent Berne and her allies, will use Perry figures.

I'll re-shoot this when the extra halbard figures have been painted and based.




19 comments:

  1. Now THAT is an impressive pike block!!!!! and you will make another!! WOW!
    Cheers
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outstanding!!!!

    Fantastic looking and extreamly impressive unit !!!

    Best regards dalauppror

    ReplyDelete
  3. The lengthy process of rebasing was definately worth it. Superb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. merrd..gggllll

    last word of a Burgundian knight...

    Great work, just stunning

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. WOW! And I thought my Gewalthut was big! That's seriously impressive and the foundry models mix very nicely with the Perry ones. You haven't got any spare musicians from the Foundry range knocking about by chance have you? I'm keen to get my hands on some but don't fancy paying twenty quid for the pack and postage...

      Delete
  6. That is an impressive looking unit. Great paint jobs and excellent basing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that's what I call an impressive pike block! Worth the effort to re-base definitely. Nicely done sir.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazng looking - that has heaps of presence on the battlefield.

    Not sure how the guys at the front would feel - if they didn't get stuck by the enemy they would get stuck by the pikes coming from behind!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hrothgar
    I have a Foundry bagpiper, drummer and Uri hornblower spare. You are most welcome to them. Please send me your address to simon.chick@tesco.net and I'll post them to you (the Foundry postage rates do prohibit smaller purchases I know)>
    Regards, Simon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I understand you correctly you going for the 120mm x 60mm with another base of 60mm x 60mm to represent one Impetus unit Simon?

    This would also look great with the HYW stuff??

    Darrell.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've outdone yourself again, excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's really kind Simon! I've dropped you an email.

    Cheers

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Darrell,
    Good to see you back on the fora. I'm doing all my units at 180mm frontage for the Swiss and Burgundian armies, but with option to reduce to standard Impetus frontage of 120mm if needed, hence the base sizes that you've spotted.
    Cheers, Simon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Simon,

    Thanks mate, it's good to be back.

    Yeah, it makes a lot of sense to do them in such a manner.

    I think I'll try to go for something similar if not the same- maybe even adding to my HYW stuff!

    Darrell.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stunning!!, can't wait to see all your completed pike blocks together. All your planning has certainly paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is one fearsome and stunning looking Swiss pike block,and wonderfully based up too!
    You have not only achieved a great paint job on them but have captured the true feel of what the swiss were about back then; utterly fearless.

    ReplyDelete
  17. this has become my post of inspiration! great stuff! i hope my pike block looks half as vicious as yours!

    ReplyDelete