Saturday 24 March 2012

Swiss Fortified Church
























































Painting progress has been slower than planned this month as work has kicked back in and my ebay sales have taken up spare time - never have I wallowed in so much bubble wrap! Anticipating that this may happen I squirrelled away these photos to bridge the gap.

This is another lovely John Boadle model, which was made for me a few years back. It's based on contemporary illustrations and pictures of walled churches that still stand in Switzerland and the French alps. It comprises of the gateway and walled section with a separate church building that slots into place but which is also usable on it's own. As usual John executed my sketchy outline ideas perfectly and then added a whole load of details which just made the model look so convincing. The thickness of the walls is exaggerated somewhat by my requirement to have wide parapets to stand figures on, given the depth of my gaming bases.

The figures manning the walls are the recent Burgundian handgunners, before they were mounted on bases.

Hopefully I will get some more Burgundians and/or Swiss done shortly, before the release of the plastic mounted men at arms at Salute - after which I expect they'll be the focus for me.

18 comments:

  1. Amazing!!! John is making me a model for my Otterburn collection. I hope it's half as good as this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh Dave - can you share what it is please (don't worry if not, I'll ask the man himself)? Simon.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Simply amazing. Both the building and the miniatures are of top quality. And great pictures aswell.
    /Mattias
    http://northern-wargaming.blogspot.se/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning !!! I want one to:)

    Lovely building !

    Best regards dalauppror

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your building interludes, they're all so excellently detailed and must look stunning on the table, the handgunners really top this off too,I wonder if it's worth keeping a few un-based figures back for demo games.

    PS, wrapping figures is so annoying ! i hope you got enough for the trip.

    Stuart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No more building interludes planned, but hoping that I may be the owner of a new John B model at some point later this year - we'll see. The trip money has gone very well thanks - one final group going up next week.

      Delete
  5. Very much, very fine building! You well done Prompt please where such magnificence can be got? Yours faithfully Oleg.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simon,
    I'm talking to John about doing me Otterburn castle and village.

    Just love your Swiss collection!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Teriffic building you are a lucky gentleman indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is spectacular, looks like it has come straight out of a Swiss Chronicle from the period

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a cracking looking building!
    Cheers
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  10. Superb building, who ever this John B is, he is very talented. You have a wonderful collection and your figures and this building compliment each other.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well Darn if that isn't just lovely!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an absolutely superb model - really fantastic, and a great complement with your wonderful figures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. That is one nifty piece.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stunning :-) nuff said

    Jason

    ReplyDelete